The SEC offers many research linkages for both academic and industry researchers. These include:
- The Energy Engineering Institute allows engineering students and faculty to solve problems presented by industrial sponsors.
- The Solar Energy Laboratory permits students and faculty in the sciences and engineering to engage in laboratory testing a new type of solar technologies.
- The Center for Regional Sustainability focuses research attention on topics from water and energy to transportation and air pollution.
- The Computational Science Research Center brings together researchers in different areas with an interest in modern scientific computation to develop educational programs and industrial interactions.
- Industry Partnerships with firms such as Cal Energy, Ormat,and the Imperial Irrigation District will help increase local educational opportunities in STEM-related fields.